MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Cooking spray - your choice of olive, canola, or vegetable oil
1 lb Amaroo Hills Sweet Italian Duck Sausage (or Mild Italian Duck Sausage)
2 tbsp non-dairy butter *
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (1 ½ lb or 4 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/3 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp rubbed sage
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb gnocchi (shelf stable, found on pasta isle)
5 oz baby spinach
Optional: shredded parmesan and/or red pepper flakes for topping *
- Spray a large pan (must have a fitted lid) with non-stick vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Add sausage to pan, breaking up meat into pieces with a spatula. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, move the sausage into a separate dish. Leave rendered duck fat and juices in the pan.
- Leave the heat on medium and add butter to the pan. Allow it to melt.
- Add the butternut squash, cover the pan, and let the squash cook for 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add onions and put the lid back on. Allow vegetables to cook for another 5-6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, nutmeg, rubbed sage, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken broth and gnocchi to the pan. Stir until all gnocchi have been moistened by the mixture. Turn the heat to medium-high and cover. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the broth is absorbed and the squash is soft. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the cooked sausage. Add spinach in handfuls, tossing it into the mixture just until it begins to wilt.
- Remove the dish from the burner and serve!
- Top individual portions with shredded parmesan and red pepper flakes, if desired.
*Non-dairy Butter Alternatives:
- Earth Balance - vegan butter, found @ Walmart, Publix, Kroger, Target, and Amazon
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter It’s Vegan - found @ Walmart, Publix, and Harris Teeter
- Crock Country Plant Butter - found @ Walmart, Publix, Kroger, Target, and Harris Teeter
*Alternative Vegan Parmesan
- Follow Your Heart Dairy Free Parmesan Style Shredded Cheese Alternative - found @ Publix, Harris Teeter, and Wegmans
- Go Veggie Grated Parmesan Style Topping - found @ Walmart, Amazon, Wegmans, and HEB Fresh Foods