MAKES 2 SERVINGSIngredients:
1 Emu Flat Filet (0.75-1 lb.)
2 TBS. non-dairy butter
1 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
1 sprig of rosemary or thyme
1 garlic clove or ½ tsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove Flat Filet from package and place on a clean surface for seasoning. Grind kosher salt 12-15 times evenly over the surface of each side of the steak. If using table salt, sprinkle ½ tsp evenly over each side. Season each side of the steak evenly with pepper, roughly 15-18 cracks per side. If using ground pepper, use ¼ tsp. for each side.
- Place seasoned steak onto a cooking rack with a pan underneath. From the side, insert a cooking (oven-safe) thermometer into the center of the meat.
- Place pan in preheated oven and cook anywhere between 8 to 15 minutes depending on the final desired meat temperature. Watch the temperature closely.
- For a rare steak, pull meat out of the oven at 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For a medium to medium-rare steak, remove meat from the oven at 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The steak will continue to cook as you sear it and then as it rests.
- As the meat cooks in the oven, place a cast iron skillet on the stove over high heat.
- Just as the steak has come to temp., take it out of the oven and place non-dairy butter, olive oil, garlic and rosemary (or thyme) into the cast iron skillet. Transfer steak to skillet.
- Sear the steak 60 to 90 seconds on each side. As the meat begins to brown, tilt the skillet slightly to one side to let oil and butter pool. Begin basting the steak with a spoon as it sears. Basting allows the steak to absorb the butter, garlic and herb flavor while creating a nice crispy outer layer on the meat.
- After each side is done searing, remove the steak from skillet and place it onto a carving board for resting. Place the meat thermometer back into the steak and then wrap steak in aluminum foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes. It will continue to cook in it’s juices and should reach the desired internal temperature (125 degrees for rare or 135 degrees for medium) before 10 minutes has passed.
- Finally, remove the foil, slice the steak into ¼ to ½-inch slices, and serve!