Serves 8 people.
Ingredients:3 lb. Emu Full Rump (approx. 2 packages)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 TBS vegetable or canola oil
2 leeks, thinly sliced into half-moons and rinsed
3 medium stalks of celery, ½ inch slanted cuts
1 tsp. minced garlic
1½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
1½ cup mushroom broth (substitute mushroom broth for vegetable or chicken broth if needed)
3/4 cup grape juice and 3/4 cup water, (or 1½ cup of red wine*)
2 TBS. flour
1½ tsp. chopped rosemary
2 TBS. red currant jelly
6 TBS. non-dairy butter
6 TBS. honey
2½ tsp. chopped rosemary
3 garlic cloves whole
2 lb. yellow potatoes, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
1-3 lbs. sweet potatoes, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
1-1.5 lb. carrots, cut in half long-ways
½ lb. parsnips, cut in half long-ways
2 small to medium onions, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season Rump evenly on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 TBS of canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium to high heat. Sear both sides of the meat (3-4 minutes on each side). Pull meat out of the pot into a shallow pan and set in the fridge for later use. Cover if desired.
- In the Dutch oven over medium heat add butter, leeks, and garlic. Sauté until leeks are soft and begin to deglaze the pot.
- Pour in broth. whisk together grape juice and water with flour and add to the broth (or whisk flour with wine and add to the broth).
- Add rosemary and jelly and stir until sauce is just beginning to bubble. Add the meat back to the pot submerging it into the sauce. Cover and place in oven for 5 hrs. or until the meat is tender enough to break apart with a spoon, but not mushy or falling apart.
When the roast goes in, prepare veggies for pan roasting:
- After 4 hours of the meat roasting, place non-dairy butter and honey into a large skillet. In two to three batches (depending on how large your skillet is) sauté prepped vegetables with rosemary (10 minutes per batch on medium high heat). Do not over stir. Flip instead so that vegetables can caramelize on sides. Season vegetables with desired amount of salt and pepper. Transfer vegetables to a baking or roasting pan and cook in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Pull yellow potatoes out after 45 minutes of cooking.
- Place vegetables and meat on a plate or in a bowl and pour sauce from roast over meat (or meat and vegetables) to serve.
*Non-dairy Butter Alternatives
- Earth Balance - Vegan Butter found @ Walmart, Publix, Kroger, and Amazon
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter It’s Vegan found @ Walmart and Publix
- Crock Country Plant Butter found @ Walmart, Publix, and Kroger
*If no allergy or sensitivity to alcohol exists, use a red wine in substitution for grape juice if desired.
- A merlot, or pinot noir is recommended