Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:3 lbs. Emu Round Steak, cut into 2-inch cubes
3 tsp. Kosher salt, divided
1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
3 TBS canola oil, divided
4 medium yellow onions
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1¾ cups (1 can, approx. 12 oz) ginger ale
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2½ cups chicken, vegetable, or emu bone stock, divided
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red grape juice (or 1/4 cup red wine*)
3 TBS all-purpose flour
2 ½ lbs. yellow or red baby potatoes, halved
1½ lbs. carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
6 thyme sprigs
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- After cutting the meat into 2-inch pieces, sprinkle salt and pepper over the meat, making sure to evenly coat each piece.
- Heat a large skillet, (or an Instant Pot on sauté) over medium-high heat with 1 TBS of canola oil. Sear the meat chunks evenly in 2-3 batches. If needed, add additional canola oil with each batch of searing. When the edges of the meat are browned and crispy, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Cover if desired.
- In a cooking pot or Instant Pot, add remaining 2 TBS of oil with onions and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add ginger ale, apple cider, stock, dijon mustard, remaining 2 tsp. of salt, and remaining 1 tsp. of black pepper. Whisk together grape juice* and flour. Then add the mixture to the pot. Let simmer together for 2 minutes.
- Add emu, potatoes, carrots, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and parsley. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Stew should be done when the emu and vegetables are tender, but not mushy or falling apart.
- Portion out into bowls and serve.
*If no allergy or sensitivity to alcohol exists, red wine works very well in lieu of the grape juice. A merlot or pinot noir is recommended.